
During the collapsing can lab, I had to heat a can on top of the heater. when I heated the can the water in it started to boil. When the can was filled with water vapor, I cooled it suddenly by inverting it in water,.Cooling the can caused the water vapor in the can to condense. The extremely low air pressure inside the can made it possible for the pressure of the air outside the can to crush it. I can crush n open aluminum can with my hand. When I squeeze on the can, the pressure outside becomes greater than the pressure inside the can. If i squeeze hard enough the can collapses. Usually, the air pressure inside an open is the same as the air pressure outside. however, the air was driven out of the can and replaced by water vapor. When n the water vapor condensed the can was empty. I was expecting the water in the pan to fill up the can before te air outside crushes it. If the can was not suddenly inverted into cold water, air would quickly fill it up and the can wouldn't collapse so easily.
No comments:
Post a Comment